In the summertime we love to spend our time poolside. But spending too much time in a chlorinated pool can wreak havoc on your hair. Chlorine is known for causing hair damage consisting of split ends and breakage. If you have a perm or color your hair the damage can be devastating. While ocean water can be good for hair, chlorine isn’t so nice. Fortunately, these tips will help reduce the damage chlorine can cause.
Tips To Prevent Summer Hair Damage
- Don’t go into a chlorinated pool immediately after you’ve colored your hair or gotten a perm. Wait at least a week before diving in.
- Wet your hair before getting into the pool. The wetter the better. If your hair is wet it won’t soak up as many chemicals.
- For extra protection you can also use a leave-in conditioner. It will help keep the moisture in and provide a barrier between your hair and the chlorine.
- Put your hair up without using pins or hair clips.
- Use a swim cap to block your hairs exposure to the chlorine. Silicone caps are recommended over latex caps because latex will pull on your hair.
- Rinse your hair with non-chlorinated water as soon as you exit the pool. If possible shampoo and condition your hair immediately.
- Towel-dry your hair by patting it to remove excess moisture. You may use a hair dryer but only on the cold setting.
- Deep condition your hair once a week to keep it strong and healthy.
- Monitor your hair on a regular basis and be aware of any possible chlorine damage. Dry hair, split ends, and a change in color are all signs that chlorine is taking its toll on your locks.
These steps are easy to follow and if you swim on a regular basis it is important for you to incorporate them into your routine. It’s all quick and painless and your hair will thank you for it. Now go enjoy your summer!!
Sitting poolside may not appeal to you right now due to your hair loss. Don’t let thinning hair ruin your summer. We invite you to meet privately with a professional hair loss specialist at InVisions of Connecticut to determine which hair loss solution is right for you. To schedule a free consultation call us at (800) 842-4247 or to contact us via email click here.
Photo Credit: Matthew Hurst Via Flickr Creative Commons